This post is sponsored by The Beef Checkoff. All opinions are my own.
I really enjoyed sharing my Beef Teriyaki On a Stick to celebrate Beef, so I decided to jump into the festivities and share another beef recipe today for #WeekdaySupper! DH doesn’t always think of beef recipes to make during our hectic weeknight schedules until I remind him of beef’s versatility. I love how easy it is to throw together a delicious beef recipe and have dinner on the table in minutes. One of my favorite ways to liven up a weekday supper is adding buttery caramelized onions, mushrooms and cheese over a grilled burger bursting with flavor. You’ll be craving these drool inducing Smothered Hamburger Steaks the next time someone asks to make burgers on the grill.
There’s no reason to settle for plain burgers when you can add a few simple ingredients to extra lean ground beef and take your burgers to the next level. Have I mentioned the amazing caramelized onions for this recipe too? OMY! I swear, caramelized onions would taste good on a shoe!
Of course it started to rain 5 minutes before my hamburger steaks were ready for the grill, so I improvised. I grabbed my baking pan with the wire rack and preheated the oven. You can actually grill these steaks, cook them in the oven or even use a stove top grill pan. I wasn’t kidding when I said beef was great for easy weeknight dinners.
My family likes our hamburger steaks on the medium rare side, but I am always mindful of the USDA safe minimum cooking temperature for ground beef being 165. I always have a meat thermometer handy just to be sure. I don’t know about you, but my mouth is watering just thinking about these Smothered Hamburger Steaks. YUM!
- 32 ounces lean ground beef
- ½ cup favorite steak sauce
- ½ cup herb and garlic bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large sweet onions, sliced thin
- 8 ounces sliced button mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 slices Muenster cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, egg, bread crumbs, salt, and steak sauce. Combine thoroughly.
- Divide beef mixture into 6 equal portions, form into flat, oval shaped patties and place on wire rack over a baking sheet. Patties can also be grilled outside on a regular grill.
- Place patties in oven to cook for 30 minutes, or until desired doneness, turning over once after the first 20 minutes. Remember, USDA safe minimum cooking temperature for ground beef is 165. Be sure to use your thermometer.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter and add sliced onions to skillet.
- Toss onions lightly to coat in melted butter. Spread the onions out evenly in the pan and let cook, stirring occasionally.
- After about 20 minutes, sprinkle in salt, add the mushrooms and continue to cook for 10 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the hamburger steaks from the oven.
- Top each steak with a slice of Muenster cheese and a healthy spoon of the onions and mushrooms.
- Return to the oven to melt the cheese, 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve hot.
Check out the other fab recipes being shared for this week’s #WeekdaySupper menu.
Monday – Slow Cooker Asian Beef by Family Foodie
Tuesday – Grilled Flank Steak Sandwiches with Caramelized Onions and Mushrooms by Neighborfood
Wednesday – Steak Caprese Salad by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Thursday – Smothered Hamburger Steak by In The Kitchen With KP
Friday – Flank Steak with Chimichurri Sauce by Peanut Butter and Peppers
Looking for even more beef recipe inspiration? Check out the latest pins on our Beef – Let’s Celebrate Pinterest board.
Follow Family Foodie’s board Beef – Let’s Celebrate on Pinterest.