The holidays are fast approaching. I’ve already started
hoarding gathering my craft store coupons so I can purchase all of the supplies to make my homemade gifts this year at a discount. I’ll be starting to bake my holiday cookies this weekend, and I have a stash of mason jars ready to go for creating some unique homemade gifts like this tasty Gingerbread M&M’s and Oatmeal Cookie Mix in a Jar.
I love making fun crafts like homemade cookie mixes in jars. It allows me to spend time in the kitchen and get creative with new flavor combinations in traditional cookies. One of my favorite cookies to make is hearty oatmeal. I added a special twist to my standard recipe to include the new Gingerbread M&M’s that are available for a limited time and exclusive to Walmart. I like the thought of a healthy cookie with a sweet note, and the gingerbread spice combination is great to add holiday flair.
Making this mix is simple. The ingredient list is relatively short since the remaining ingredients are added by the recipient of the mix when they are ready to bake the cookies. I take my time layering the dry ingredients to make the jar look as pretty as possible from the outside. I used a ladle to gently pack down the ingredients as I added them to the jar.
I was trying to avoid layering the flour in the bottom of the jar since it tends to get the inside all dusty. Hindsight being 20/20, the flour should not go last either. I found this out the hard way last night. As I added the last layer of oats, they slipped a little in between the Gingerbread M&M’s. Next time I will layer the more powdery ingredients below the brown sugar layer. The dense brown sugar gives a sealing effect to the ingredients below it. Then I would end with the colorful Gingerbread M&M’s as the top layer before closing the lid. They are too festive to not let the candies be the star of the cookie mix.
And speaking of stars! If you have some amazing ideas of your own for creating a holiday craft or decorative item using these delicious Gingerbread M&M’s, then you should enter the Gingerbread M&M Instagram contest.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE: Upload an original image to Instagram with inspirational ideas and creations using Gingerbread M&M’s to decorate and craft during the holidays, caption that image with the hashtag #HolidayMM, and share on Twitter (an “Entry”). How cool is that! Sharing your own creative crafts to win prizes! Plus I am also sharing a $1.00 off coupon to get you started buying some yummy Gingerbread M&M’s for yourself! What a super sweet deal!
The smell of gingerbread baking is the perfect aroma to fill your house during the holidays. During this holiday season, get your craft on and host a gingerbread house decorating party with your little ones using classic candies like M&M’s. Be sure to check out the latest edition of the Live SoFab Holiday Digital Magazine too. Inside you will find ten tips to help you create the perfect gingerbread house and more holiday inspired fun.
What is you favorite homemade gift you like to create and give for the holidays?
- Dry Ingredients for Jar
- ½ cup dark brown sugar, lightly packed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1½ cups old-fashioned oatmeal
- 1 cup Gingerbread M&Ms
- Additional Ingredients to include with directions
- 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 extra-large egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl mix the granulated sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and ginger until well combined.
- Pour the granulated sugar mixture into the bottom of a 1 quart jar
- Continue to add the remaining dry ingredients, layering them carefully in the jar.
- Secure the lid onto the jar, and attach a tag with the preparation instructions below.
- Tag details for gift jar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper
- In a large bowl, beat 12 cup of softened butter, 1 room temperature egg, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla until fluffy.
- Stir in the contents of the jar.
- Using a ½ inch cookie scoop, drop cookie dough on parchment paper lined baking sheet about 2 inches apart
- Drop cookies by rounded tablespoons 2 inches apart onto the prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until lightly browned.
- Let cookies set on baking sheets for 1 minute before transferring to wire racks to cool completely