Looking for a super easy Valentine’s Day treat to make with the kids in the kitchen? Try this simple and delicious M&M Valentine Skillet Cookie decorated with festive holiday pastels!
I love having my kids in the kitchen baking with me. My five year old gets a little impatient with all the measuring, so I try and prepare all the ingredients before I call him into the kitchen. It’s so much easier than trying to follow the recipe steps with him asking if I am ready for him to dump the eggs, and second guessing whether I added the baking soda already.
For this skillet cookie, I only added a few M&Ms to the batter, and the rest I left for decorating the top. I didn’t want the cookie to be overloaded with chocolate. Strange I know, but I actually really enjoy the flavor of the actual baked cookie. Please feel free to pump up the volume of M&Ms to satisfy your own chocolate preference level. As the kids were pressing the M&Ms into the batter, I thought it would have been cute to form the M&Ms into a heart shape pattern. Too late. Maybe next time!
This sweet Valentine’s treat was a hit with both my coworkers and my husband’s. I can’t wait to make another one! You could really change up the theme of this basic cookie with any color/flavor of M&Ms. Or skip the M&Ms and go for a unique twist like this Fluffernutter Skillet Cookie. Either way your creation is guaranteed to make your family smile.
What’s your favorite flavor of cookies to bake?
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- ¾ cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup Valentine’s Day M&Ms
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl add flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars until mixture is light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. If you don’t have a stand mixer, a hand mixer works fine.
- Add egg and vanilla and mix until well blended.
- Add flour mixture, and beat until fully combined.
- Fold ½ cup of Valentine’s Day M&Ms into cookie dough.
- Add dough to a 10-inch well greased, ovenproof, cast iron skillet, and press into the bottom of the pan.
- Press remaining ½ cup of Valentine’s Day M&Ms into the top of the cookie batter.
- Bake 35-40 minutes, until edges are brown.
- Be sure not to over bake. The cookie will continue to cook in the heavy skillet after it’s removed from the oven.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Cut the cookie into wedges and serve warm.