I’ve mentioned before that this house loves hot dogs. This recipe combines hot dogs with that delicious sweet goodness of fresh baked corn bread, reminiscent of yummy corn dogs you would find at your local carnival without the fat and frying.
This week’s theme for our #SundaySupper Group is Kids in the Kitchen! You know I am all about having my kids in the kitchen with me. It not only gives us together time, but by helping prepare new dishes, it opens their minds to be more willing to try the dish. This sly Mommy tactic has always worked great with Baby…with Jed, my
stubborn, bane of my existence will only eat dino nuggets or pasta picky eater, not so much. 🙂
2 (8.5 ounce) packages cornbread mix
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
9 hot dogs, cut in half
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
2. Lightly grease muffin tins.
3. Stir together the cornbread mix and the brown sugar in a large bowl.
4. Whisk the eggs and milk in a small bowl until smooth.
5. Fold the eggs and cheese into the dry mixture until moistened.
6. Spoon mixture into muffin tins until 2/3 full. Add 1 hot dog half to each muffin.
7. Bake in a preheated oven 14 to 18 minutes, or until golden brown.
We made mini and regular sized muffins. Both sizes turned out perfect. When you add a salad and a serving of macaroni/potato salad or Mediterranean couscous salad, dinner is done. This is the type of dinner I like to eat outside on the deck because there are not a million things to carry in and out of the house. One tray for each adult and everything is set and ready to eat.
You can find the recipe we use HERE from allrecipes.com, but we omit the additional sugar. I find the cornbread mix we use is sweet enough, but that is just our personal preference.
Now my second favorite part, of #SundaySupper (number one of course being eating the dish that we made), sharing all the amazing recipes my fellow foodie bloggers have prepared too! You can find everything from breakfast to dessert in the span of recipes all geared specifically towards cooking with kids and having them join you in the kitchen!
So, in the words of my three year old, “Let’s get this party started” and have some fun!
Start your day:
- Panko Encrusted French Toast Sticks ~Doggie At the Dinner Table
- Pineapple Not-Upside Down Muffins ~In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Bacon, Egg & Sausage Breakfast Cups ~Daily Dish Recipes
- Buttermilk French Toast with Homemade Cinnamon – Raisin Bread ~What Smells So Good
- Snack Attack: 3 Healthy Choices for Little Nibblers ~Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Fruit Salad in an Orange Cup ~Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Whole-wheat Pretzel Dogs ~Family Spice
- Poblano Mac ‘N Cheese ~Juanita’s Cocina
- Coconut Chicken and Shrimp ~Super for a Steal
- Lunie and Mini-me’s Grilled Pizza ~Cravings of a Lunatic
- Hedgehog Meatballs and Chili Dog Pie ~Cooking by the Seat of our Pants
- Walking Tostada ~Shockingly Delicious
- Mini Sausage Rolls ~Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Mini Corn Dog Muffins ~In The Kitchen With KP
- Mexican Black Bean & Quinoa Burgers with Homemade Guacamole ~Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Threaded Spaghetti Hot Dog Bites ~Damn Delicious
- Golden Potato Patties ~My Trials in the Kitchen
- Grilled Chicken Wings in Sesame Flavors ~The Queen’s Notebook
- Spaghetti Tacos ~Girlichef
- Parmesan Corn on the Cob ~Home Cooking Memories
- Yum Yum Salmon ~Family Foodie
- Pad Thai ~Meal Planning Magic
- Chicken Tortilla Bake ~Mrs. Mama Hen
- Chocolate Slab ~Happy Baking Days
- Chocolate Chip Cut-Out Cookies ~Chocolate Moosey
- Self-Crust Coconut Pie ~Magnolia Days
- Fresh Cherry Clafoutis ~The Meltaways
- Wolf’s Wonderful Peanut Butter-Brownie Fudge Sundaes ~The Weekend Gourmet
- Cookies and Cream Ice Cream ~The Messy Baker Blog
- Healthy Creamy Caramel Apple Parfaits with Greek Yogurt ~Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Chocolate and Salted Caramel Pudding Pops ~Hezzi-D’s Cooks and Books
- Chocolate Cheese Turnover ~Basic and Delicious
- Chocotorta Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Oatmeal and M&M Cookies ~That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Purple Blueberry Cake ~Tora’s Real Food
- Tropical Popsicles ~Pippi’s in the Kitchen Again
- Carrot Cupcakes ~Diabetic Foodie
Have a great kid friendly recipe to share? Join us this week for the #SundaySupper live chat. We’d love to have you participate in the fun! Our chat will start at 3 pm EST. Follow us on twitter by using hashtag #Sundaysupper or using Tweetchat. Hope to see you there!
- 2 (8.5 ounce) packages cornbread mix
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups milk
- 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 9 hot dogs, cut in half
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Lightly grease muffin tins.
- Stir together the cornbread mix and the brown sugar in a large bowl.
- Whisk the eggs and milk in a small bowl until smooth.
- Fold the eggs and cheese into the dry mixture until moistened.
- Spoon mixture into muffin tins until ⅔ full. Add 1 hot dog half to each muffin.
- Bake in a preheated oven 14 to 18 minutes, or until golden brown.