Last week I had the amazing opportunity to visit and explore a Vidalia onion farm as a guest of the Vidalia Onion Committee. I plan to share all the cool details I learned about farming famous Vidalia Onions, but first I wanted to share an opportunity for all of you budding foodies out there. Check out the “V” Culinary Challenge! Vidalia Onion Recipe Contest!
Vidalia onions are famously known for their sweet flavor and versatility in a wide variety of recipes. During lunch at the Vidalia Onion Museum, I was told about an age old recipe for making a Vidalia onion wrapped in bacon. Well, you know I just had to try making one for myself. Behold…the Bacon Wrapped Vidalia Onion!
With the launch of this year’s onion season, The Vidalia Onion Committee is hosting a contest for food bloggers everywhere to develop a unique recipe featuring the super sweet and extra tasty, Vidalia onions.
One Grand Prize winner will be awarded:
- $2,500 cash prize
- Winner’s recipe, bio and blog featured highlighted on the Vidalia Onion Committee’s website and Pinterest Page for one year.
Two Runner-up Winners will each receive a cash prize of $500!
There are also plenty of other opportunities for participating fans to win something too! Each week during the contest, the Vidalia Onion Committee will be hosting smaller trivia contests and giveaways on their Facebook page where you can win tasty Vidalia onions, and other fun prizes! You can find full details and contest rules on Vidalia Onions’s Facebook page here. Plus to get you started, go here to snag a special coupon to save $0.50 on your Vidalia Onion purchase.
Do you have a delicious and unique recipe of your own? Share it with the Vidalia Onion Council and be entered to win! Contributed recipes and images will be posted on the contest page here, and fans will be given the opportunity to vote for their favorites. Voting will begin on May 1st and will run through August 4th. Don’t forget to keep checking back though. Recipes will be added daily through June 10th.
What’s your favorite way to use Vidalia onions?
Get Social with Sweet Vidalia Onions and the Vidalia Onion Committee
Vidalia Onions on the web
Vidalia Onions on Facebook
Vidalia Onions on Twitter @Vidaliaonions1
Vidalia Onions on Pinterest
Vidalia Onions on YouTube
- 1 large Vidalia onion
- 1 Tablespoon of butter
- 2-3 strips of bacon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Carefully slice about one inch off the top of a large Vidalia onion.
- Peel the onion without cutting off the root, and cut root evenly to create a flat surface so onion will sit upright.
- Using a knife, cut a small cone shaped section from the center of the onion, being careful not to cut into the root.
- Wrap 2-3 slices of bacon around onion, depending on size of onion.
- Place butter in the center of the onion, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Wrap the onion in heavy duty aluminum foil and seal.
- Bake until onion is soft, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- I opened the foil to crisp up the bacon for the last 15-20 minutes.
- Carefully remove onion and liquid from foil and place in a bowl.
- Serve immediately.