I participated in an Influencer Activation Program on behalf of Mom Central Consulting for the Florida Department of Citrus. I received promotional item to thank me for participating.
As a mom, I try to make nutritious choices for my family when it comes to mealtime, especially when I am short on time. Using 100% Florida Orange Juice in this easy marinade bumps up the vitamin C, folate, thiamin and potassium in my recipe without even blinking an eye. We’re big football fans and you’ll find us front and center watching our favorite team on any given Saturday or Sunday afternoon. When it comes to tailgating at home, I love super fast recipes like this Jerk Chicken & Florida Orange Couscous so I don’t have to be the stuck in the kitchen missing all the football fun.
I also love how fast this recipe is to throw together. No need to miss any of the game or home tailgating festivities. You can quickly prepare the four ingredient marinade*, add your diced chicken pieces and set it back in the fridge until halftime. I also quickly chop up a few carrots to pump up the nutrition in the overall dish. The sweet carrots pair deliciously with the tangy Florida Orange Marinade.
When halftime arrives, I quickly stir fry the marinated chicken and carrots. My favorite time saver for this recipe is serving it over the orange couscous. Using the microwave the couscous is completely ready to serve in under five minute. That is equivalent to a Hail Mary touchdown for this mom.
- Jerk Chicken
- 1 lb diced boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 Cup carrots, sliced thin
- ½ C 100% Florida Orange Juice
- 2 Tablespoons of lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons jerk seasoning
- 2 teaspoons of ginger, minced
- Orange couscous
- ¾ Cup whole grain couscous
- ¾ Cup 100% Florida Orange Juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Combine orange juice, lime juice, jerk seasoning and ginger in large bowl, mix thoroughly.
- Add diced chicken to a quart sized resealable bag and pour marinade over chicken. Seal bag and refrigerate at least three hours or preferably overnight.
- Remove chicken from marinade and discard any remaining marinade.
- Preheat wok or large sauce pan to medium high heat.
- Sauté chicken until two thirds cooked through about 5 minutes
- Add sliced carrots and stir together with chicken to finish cooking, allowing carrots to soften slightly.
- Remove chicken and carrots from heat when cooked thoroughly.
- In large bowl add dry couscous and orange juice and microwave 3 minutes.
- Remove couscous from microwave and fluff pasta grains.
- Sprinkle salt and drizzle olive oil over cooked couscous. Stir and fluff again until well blended.
- Spoon chicken and carrots over orange couscous and serve immediately.
Growing up, my mom always had 100% Florida Orange Juice in the refrigerator and now as a mom, I do the same. It’s a great choice for families any time of the day. An 8-ounce glass of 100% Florida OJ also counts as one cup of fruit, according to the USDA MyPlate recommendations. Florida Orange Juice held a fabulously fun tailgating event in New York City on Aug. 19. Special guest and sports broadcaster Erin Andrews was there sharing her top tailgating tips.
You can see some of Erin’s top tailgating tips below to help make your next tailgate superstar spectacular!
- Select a stellar food lineup: Rely on classic tailgate favorites like burgers and brats, but try at least one new dish each time, and a health-conscious one, too. Incorporate recipes with bright, fresh flavors, like a citrus glaze for grilled cedar plank salmon or a spinach salad tossed in a 100% Florida Orange Juice and balsamic vinegar dressing.
- Don’t forget to have fun: Remember to relax and spend time with guests. Have a friend prepare a tray of citrus-infused beverages: Mimosas! The combination of zesty Florida OJ with a splash of champagne is especially great for early morning tailgates.
- Get to grillin’. No tailgate starts until the grill is fired up. Who doesn’t love smoky grilled veggies like peppers, corn and asparagus? To get your protein fix, try marinating chicken skewers in 100% Florida Orange Juice along with lime juice, jerk seasoning and ginger. The refreshing citrus marinade is perfect for the grill.
Creating a delicious and nutritious tailgate treat is easy when you incorporate Florida Orange Juice. What’s your favorite recipe to make while tailgating or watching your favorite team?
*Marinade Recipe credit: Florida Department of Citrus