I promised to share the wonderful dessert that DH surprised us all with at the end of our Mexican pizza making fest so here it is.
You will not be disappointed.
1 (21 ounce) can apple pie filling
6 (8 inch) flour tortillas
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 cup margarine
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup water
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Spoon fruit evenly onto all tortillas, sprinkle with cinnamon. Roll up tortillas and place seam side down on lightly greased 8×8 baking pan.
We shall not speak of DH’s mad tortilla rolling skillz when he is making us dessert.
3. Bring margarine, sugars and water to a boil in a medium sauce pan. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring constantly for 3 minutes.
4. Pour sauce evenly over tortillas; sprinkle with extra cinnamon on top if desired. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes.
5. Makes 6 large tortillas; may be cut in half to serve 12.
I personally thought the sauce was too sweet. I think it would definitely benefit from cooking longer to really bring out the carmelized notes. Next time we may just bake the enchiladas without the sauce and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Or after cooling slightly, we may try drizzling with honey or a little warm caramel sauce.
This was definitely a fun ending to our Friday night fiesta. You can find the recipe here from AllRecipes.com.
What’s your favorite dessert after eating Mexican food?