To The Arctic
An ice-bound adventure for the whole family.
Opens April 20, 2012
Take an extraordinary journey to the top of the world for a story of love, family and survival in the harshest place on Earth. Narrated by Oscar® winner Meryl Streep, To The Arctic takes audiences on a never-before-experienced journey into the lives of a mother polar bear and her twin seven-month-old cubs as they navigate the changing Arctic wilderness they call home.
Swim alongside the bears and discover a world beneath the ice where corals and odd creatures thrive. Fly above a thundering herd of caribou making their way to their calving ground then gaze across hundreds of miles of snow-bound peaks and floating ice in the Arctic Ocean.
Captivating, adventurous and intimate footage brings moviegoers up-close and personal with this family’s struggle to survive in a frigid environment of melting ice, immense glaciers, spectacular waterfalls, and majestic snow-bound peaks.
Help us celebrate the opening of the new IMAX® film at a To The Arctic Opening Celebration on Saturday, April 21. Bring your cubs and enjoy a variety of polar bear- and Arctic-themed activities*.
- Lars the Polar Bear 10am – 2pm, Great Hall; Meet Lars the Polar Bear from the children’s’ book series, The Little Polar Bear, by Hans de Beer.
- Polar Habitat Toss Game 10am – 2pm, Great Hall; Help the animals find their way to the correct polar habitat in this fun toss game.
- Pin the Tail on the Polar Bear 10am – 2pm, Great Hall; Oh no! Our polar bear has lost his tail. Can you help him find it?
- Walk like a Polar Bear 10am – 2pm, Great Hall; Learn how polar bears’ feet allow them to walk across ice and snow without slipping.
- Snowflake Rubbings 10am – 2pm, Great Hall; Snow in April, in Atlanta?!? We can make it happen! Create your own snowflake to take home.
- Arctic Animals Matching Game 10am – 2pm, Great Hall; Lemmings, arctic foxes, snowy owls and more! Learn about them all in our fun matching game.
- Big Thinkers Science Exploration 11am and 1pm, Great Hall; Sometimes science has to be big! Join Big Thinkers Science as they wow you with some super “cool” experiments.
- To The Arctic 11am, 1pm, 3pm and 5pm, Fernbank’s IMAX® Theatre. Take an extraordinary journey to the top of the world for a story of love, family and survival in the harshest place on Earth. Requires separate ticket purchase.
Cost: Except where noted, all To The Arctic Opening Celebration activities are included with Museum admission and are free for members. *Activities subject to change without notice.
Find out how you can save up to 40% off IMAX® tickets.
Purchase tickets online or by calling 404.929.6400.
Category: Local Adventures
About the Author (Author Profile)Happily married with two children, Karen does not hesitate to rebuff her family’s hungry advances at mealtime, while she styles and photographs their dinner to share on Instagram before serving them. In The Kitchen With KP is full of family friendly adventures around Atlanta (and beyond), plus simple recipes everyone can feel comfortable trying. In fact, her whole family participates in the cooking/baking fun on a regular basis.
Sites That Link to this Post
- Dinosaurs and Polar Bears – Mommy and Me Monday | April 23, 2012