To The Arctic
An ice-bound adventure for the whole family.
Opens April 20, 2012
Take an extraordinary journey to the top of the world for a story of love, family and survival in the harshest place on Earth. Narrated by Oscar® winner Meryl Streep, To The Arctic takes audiences on a never-before-experienced journey into the lives of a mother polar bear and her twin seven-month-old cubs as they navigate the changing Arctic wilderness they call home.
Swim alongside the bears and discover a world beneath the ice where corals and odd creatures thrive. Fly above a thundering herd of caribou making their way to their calving ground then gaze across hundreds of miles of snow-bound peaks and floating ice in the Arctic Ocean.
Captivating, adventurous and intimate footage brings moviegoers up-close and personal with this family’s struggle to survive in a frigid environment of melting ice, immense glaciers, spectacular waterfalls, and majestic snow-bound peaks.
Help us celebrate the opening of the new IMAX® film at a To The Arctic Opening Celebration on Saturday, April 21. Bring your cubs and enjoy a variety of polar bear- and Arctic-themed activities*.
- Lars the Polar Bear 10am – 2pm, Great Hall; Meet Lars the Polar Bear from the children’s’ book series, The Little Polar Bear, by Hans de Beer.
- Polar Habitat Toss Game 10am – 2pm, Great Hall; Help the animals find their way to the correct polar habitat in this fun toss game.
- Pin the Tail on the Polar Bear 10am – 2pm, Great Hall; Oh no! Our polar bear has lost his tail. Can you help him find it?
- Walk like a Polar Bear 10am – 2pm, Great Hall; Learn how polar bears’ feet allow them to walk across ice and snow without slipping.
- Snowflake Rubbings 10am – 2pm, Great Hall; Snow in April, in Atlanta?!? We can make it happen! Create your own snowflake to take home.
- Arctic Animals Matching Game 10am – 2pm, Great Hall; Lemmings, arctic foxes, snowy owls and more! Learn about them all in our fun matching game.
- Big Thinkers Science Exploration 11am and 1pm, Great Hall; Sometimes science has to be big! Join Big Thinkers Science as they wow you with some super “cool” experiments.
- To The Arctic 11am, 1pm, 3pm and 5pm, Fernbank’s IMAX® Theatre. Take an extraordinary journey to the top of the world for a story of love, family and survival in the harshest place on Earth. Requires separate ticket purchase.
Cost: Except where noted, all To The Arctic Opening Celebration activities are included with Museum admission and are free for members. *Activities subject to change without notice.
Find out how you can save up to 40% off IMAX® tickets.
Purchase tickets online or by calling 404.929.6400.