It’s Friday, Friday, Friday!
One of my favorite days of the week.
The busy schedule of the week is complete and we can all relax a bit. Dinner is usual an easy one too. We typically grill burgers, pick up or make pizza or eat leftovers.
This week DH planned a Mexican Fiesta! He found a new recipe for Mexican pizza. As I mentioned before, our family loves Mexican food, so combine it with a Friday evening, some warm cheese dip and it’s a party!
1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
1 pound ground beef
1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
4 (6 inch) corn tortillas
8 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese
8 tablespoons sour cream
2 roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped
2 green onion, chopped
1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles, drained
1/2 avocado, diced
1 tablespoon black olives, sliced
1. Heat the refried beans.
2. In a large skillet, brown the ground beef. Stir in the seasoning packet.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
4. Place a small amount of vegetable oil in a large skillet. Let the oil heat, then place one corn tortilla in the skillet. After 15 seconds, flip the tortilla over and let it fry another 15 seconds. Repeat this process with the remaining tortillas, letting them drain on paper towels once they have been heated. When the tortillas have drained, arrange them on a cookie sheet.
5. Spread a thin layer of beans on the tortillas, followed by a layer of beef, and cheese.
6. Bake the tortillas in the preheated oven for 20 to 30 minutes. (We thought this was a little long. We heated until the cheese melted and tortilla looked toasted.)
7. Garnish with desired toppings like sour cream, tomatoes, lettuce, green onions, chiles, avocado, and olives.
Now obviously, the ingredient list is a little long when you consider all the toppings you can use. This idea is great because you can cater everyone’s pizza to their own liking. The cool veggies and sour cream are the perfect combination with the warm meat, bean and cheese layer. Oh, and the crunch from the flour tortilla is delicious too!
We loved this dinner and will definitely be making the pizzas again, and you can find the recipe here from AllRecipes.com. DH also surprised us all with a fun complimenting Mexican Dessert. I’ll be posting that too. It was so good you definitely won’t want to miss it.
What’s your favorite mix of toppings for tacos to create your own version of pizza?