Happy Sunday everyone! You know what that means! It’s time again to gather your kids, spouse, and anyone else you deem family and gather them around the family table for meal time!
This week our #SundaySupper group is celebrating a Mexican Fiesta and our hostess is Heather from Girlichef! Ole! If you are a regular reader, you already know we love Mexican flavors in this house for pizza and lasagne. Interestingly enough, I just shared my easy Deconstructed Enchiladas for our back to school theme week. That would have been perfect for this week, but alas…I needed something new.
What do you say to topping off your favorite Mexican meal with these scrumptious Caramel Apple Enchiladas!
I am very blessed, because as hectic sometimes as my schedule is, I always take time to eat dinner with the family. I want my kids to understand the importance of family time, especially since I know the kids years will soon be replaced by the teen years. Maybe I can keep them around when they get a little older with the occasional fabulous dessert.
DH first tried making these apple enchiladas HERE. They were super easy and good, but very sweet. I attempted this time to create my own recipe with a little creativity thrown in to save time.
5 Whole grain tortillas (taco size)
2 Large golden delicious
2-3 tsp cinnamon sugar
5 Caramel sheets used for easy caramel apples (usually found in the produce section of your local market)
1 Tbs Softened/melted butter
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare 8X8 greased baking dish.
2. Peel and dice apples
3. In small bowl, add diced apples and 2 tsp of cinnamon sugar, toss together so apples are evenly coated.
4. Lay whole grain tortilla flat, place caramel sheet in center of tortilla, add diced apple in center
5. Roll tortilla. caramel sheet and filling, careful to tuck in sides while rolling. Do not over stuff.
6. Place rolled enchilada into glass baking dish and repeat for the remaining tortillas.
7. Brush tortillas with softened butter and sprinkle with remaining 1 tsp cinnamon sugar
8. Bake until heated through and top of the tortillas are toasted.
9. Remove and serve immediately, topping with additional caramel sauce and whipped cream.
Feedback for the new enchilada recipe was great! The caramel sheets melted and oozed out to coat the bottom of the baking dish, while the tops of the enchiladas were nice and crisp. As I sliced open the enchilada, the tender apples tumbled out coated in delicious cinnamon. I topped the enchilada with some dulce de leche and whipped cream and we all went to town tasting. Well, after I took all the pictures, everyone was allowed to dig in to the dish!
This dessert was definitely a hit in our house. Next time I would probably leave out the caramel sheets and just drizzle over the dulce de leche. I liked that the filling was not all sticky sweet and the true flavor of the apples and cinnamon shined through. It was the perfect dessert after our taco dinner. And now on to the mouthwatering recipes from our talented #SundaySupper contributors! You will definitely want to check out these recipes to inspire you to make your own fun filled family style Mexican Fiesta!
Sopas (Soups), Ensaladas (Salads), and Entremeses (Starters)
- Chicken Tortilla Soup – The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Mexican Paint Soup – Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Jalapeño Popper Dip – Chocolate Moosey
- Vegan Tortilla Soup – Galactosemia in PDX
- Texas Caviar – Ruffles and Truffles
- Cheese-Stuffed Jalapeños w/ a Tequila Sunrise – Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Mexican 7 Layer Dip & Chips – The Daily Dish Recipes
- Stoplight Salsa Reisipe – Family Foodie
- Tortilla Soup with Roasted Vegetables – Diabetic Foodie
- Mini Taco Salads – Big Bear’s Wife
La Comida (the food)
- Fiesta en tu Boca Enchiladas (Chicken & White Bean Enchiladas w/ Salsa Verde) – The Hand That Rocks the Ladle
- Gluten-Free Chicken Spinach Artichoke Enchiladas for #SundaySupper – Cooking Underwriter
- Mexican Fiesta for #SundaySupper: Chipotle Chicken & 3 Bean Quesadillas w/ Wasabi Guacamole and Mango Salsa – Chattering Kitchen
- Carnitas – My Catholic Kitchen
- Tamale Pie – Noshing with the Nolands
- Eggs Motuleños – The Meltaways
- Grilled Fish Tacos with Black Bean and Corn Salsa – Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Carne Asada – Magnolia Days
- Carnitas Avocado Pizza with Chipotle Avocado Mayonnaise Drizzle – Damn Delicious
- Frijoles Charros (Cowboy Beans) – La Cocina de Leslie
- Puerco Pibil – girlichef
- BLT Quesadillas with Avocado Mayo – Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chile Rellenos with Roasted Tomato Sauce – Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Tamales with Green Chili Sauce – Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Beef and Vegetable Enchiladas – Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks
- Chicken Con Queso – Momma’s Meals
- Baked Flautas – Home Cooking Memories
- Chunky Aztec Chocolate Granola – What Smells So Good?
- Street Tacos Al Pastor – Sustainable Dad
- Shrimp Tacos – Pippi’s in the Kitchen Again
- Chile Relleno with Ranchero Sauce – The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Zippy Chipotle Shrimp & Mango Tostadas – Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Pork Tacos – Tora’s Real Food
- Stuffed Sopapillas – Juanita’s Cocina
- Chicken Fajitas – Cravings of a Lunatic
- Blue Crab Tacos – Pescetarian Journal
- Huevos Rancheros – Comfy Cuisine
- Chocolate Cinnamon Flan – Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Caramel Apple Enchiladas for a Mexican Fiesta #SundaySupper – In the Kitchen with KP
- Chilli Chocolate Truffles – Happy Baking Days
- Horchata Ice Cream & Churro Brownies – Kwistin’s Favorites
- Strawberry Empanadas – In the Kitchen with Audrey and Maureen
- Plantain Fritters – From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Fried Cinnamon Sugar Tortillas – The Watering Mouth
- Beer Margaritas – That Skinny Chick can bake
- Hatch Chile Margarita – Shockingly Delicious
- Skinny & Spicy Watermelon Margaritas – I Run for Wine
- Refreshing Kiwi Lime Margarita – Mama Mommy Mom
- Wine Pairings for a Mexican Fiesta #SundaySupper – ENOFYLZ
Isn’t that list incredible? And don’t forget, if you happen to be just hanging around on Sunday, feel free to join the #SundaySupper family on Twitter throughout the day. We’ll also be meeting up at 7:00 p.m. EST for our weekly #SundaySupper live chat to discuss our Mexican Fiesta recipes! All you have to do is follow the #SundaySupper hashtag! On Pinterest, check out the group’s incredible pictures and recipes on our #SundaySupper Pinterest board!