Brrrr!!! It has been an absolutely crazy week here in Georgia. We had a major snow storm this week that dumped snow and ice over the past few days. We were prepared to be snowed in with plenty of bread and milk, but I had something else in mind for dinner other than cold sandwiches. The day of the first ice storm, I threw some chicken in the crock pot to cook. Luckily we never lost power, and by the early evening I had a batch of perfectly shredded barbecue chicken. I took the chicken one step further and rolled up a batch of these super easy Shredded Barbecue Chicken Enchiladas.
Making shredded chicken in a crock pot is a great way to have two planned dinners and you are really only cooking once. The shredded barbecue chicken is great for sandwiches for the first meal, and then leftovers can quickly be made into enchiladas as easy as one, two, three.
Simply roll the shredded chicken in flour tortillas, place in the baking dish, top with your favorite barbecue sauce and they are ready to bake! Once the enchiladas are warmed through, I add a little shredded cheddar jack cheese on the top and pop it back in the oven to make it all toasty and melted. These warm and gooey enchiladas are a wonderful way to end a chilly day of playing outside in the cold.
What’s your favorite meal to make when your stuck inside on a snow day?
- 3 cups cooked shredded barbecue chicken
- 8 oz shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 8-10 ten inch flour tortillas
- 1 cup your favorite barbecue sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Coat 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray
- Using room temperature tortillas (cold ones from the fridge tend to crack when rolling), place about ½ to ⅓ cup of mixture in center of flour tortilla.
- Sprinkle shredded cheddar jack cheese on top of shredded chicken.
- Roll tortilla to secure ingredients inside and place in prepared baking dish.
- Repeat with additional tortillas until filling is gone.
- Pour barbecue sauce over filled tortillas, spreading evenly to coat all tortillas lightly.
- Bake in oven for 25-30 minutes until filling is heated through.
- Remove from oven, top with additional shredded cheese and return to oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven, allow dish to set for 5 minutes and serve.