I love lazy weekend mornings. The kids love when DH makes pancakes, but I don’t usually eat them. I am more of a protein/carb combo eater and prefer eggs or peanut butter toast. Then I saw a delicious looking breakfast creation on Pinterest here from Once A Month Mom here that I just had to try. Voila…Blueberry Bliss Grilled Cheese!
I have seen plenty of recipes for stuffed french toast with cream cheese, but I can’t ever get mine to cook nicely after dipping it in the egg. By making this grilled cheese it eliminates the need for dipping in the egg. I also took this grilled cheese up a notch when I recently found the new Pepperidge Farms Blueberry Swirl Bread. Holy cow this stuff is good. I have always been a fan of their swirl bread, because it’s not too sweet, and the blueberry is the same in that respect.
I’m also not going to say this is the healthiest breakfast/brunch option either. It’s not. Helloooo…it’s a grilled cheese, which usually means there will be butter, at least in my version. HA! Feel free to edit as you see fit for your own tastes. It’s so simple, calling it a recipe makes me kind of chuckle.
Baby wasn’t a huge fan of the fresh blueberry texture, but she loved the sandwich itself. I am thinking next time to use a flavored cream cheese, or maybe mix the fresh blueberries into the whipped cream cheese. Flavor combinations are endless too. Up next on the agenda may be a cinnamon swirl bread version with cinnamon cream cheese, or maybe a strawberry combination. Mmmmmm.
Let me know what awesome combinations you try in your own kitchen!
- 2 slices Blueberry Swirl bread
- 2 Tablespoons whipped cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- Handful of fresh blueberries
- Heat griddle or skillet to medium heat
- Spread 1 Tablespoon of whipped cream cheese on each slice of bread
- Sprinkle cream cheese with powdered sugar
- Add blueberries on one side of bread and cover with remaining slice.
- Butter first side of sandwich on one side and place butter side down in skillet.
- Carefully butter remaining side of sandwich.
- Cook on one side for 3-5 minutes and then turn.
- Continue to cook another 3 minutes until bread is golden brown.
- Remove from heat and serve.