I spend way too much time on Pinterest. Some days I just chuckle my way through humor boards, other days I search out recipes for my fun themed boards. I recently came across these incredibly crunchy looking sweet potato crisps made by Carrots ‘N’ Cake. I just knew I had to make them. This week our host is Pam from The Meltaways, and Pam loves October and all things Orange! She challenged the Sunday Supper Team to share our favorite Orange Recipe. Well, hello my lovelies! These oven baked Sweet Potato Crisps sure are orange!
1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled
2 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons cinnamon sugar
2 Tablespoons melted butter
1. Preheat oven to 425. Set a wire rack on top of a baking sheet. Spray rack with non-stick spray.
2. Grate sweet potatoes and squeeze all the moisture. The more water you remove, the crispier the potatoes.
3. Combine sweet potatoes, egg whites, salt, cinnamon sugar, and butter in a large bowl and mix until combined.
4. Scoop out potato mixture with spoon, form into small patty shape, and set on wire rack. Try and press as thin as possible. Repeat until potatoes are all on the wire rack.
5. Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until potatoes and dark around the edges and crispy.
The original recipe called for cheese and rosemary. I decided to go with the typical topping in our house for sweet potatoes by adding cinnamon sugar. One of the biggest things I would do differently for this recipe is work out more water of the potatoes. I thought I squeezed them pretty dry, but after adding the other ingredients, I knew I could have gotten out more water. The patties were harder to form and very wet. They took longer to dry and crisp in the oven. They even started to get a little dark on the edges and I just had to go with it.
Baby and are the sweet potato eaters in the house. Baby gave the crisps two thumbs up. The cinnamon and sugar enhanced the natural sweetness of the potato without going over the edge. For me, I wasn’t completely on board with the texture. Instead of crispy, the potatoes tasted a little under cooked. I may try making them in a frying pan next time, because they will be on the menu again for sure. They are a fun alternative to our usual baked sweet potatoes.
Are you ready for Orange Overload? Go check out the group’s awesome orange themed recipes to find a new favorite Fall recipe to share around your own family table. I am so excited we had close to 60 recipes submitted for this week’s #SundaySupper! There is something for everyone!
Sunrise (Breakfast and Brunch)
- Paula from Vintage Kitchen Notes is bringing her Orange Ricotta Pancakes
- Erin from Dinners Dishes and Desserts is baking up some Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Heather from Girlichef is bringing Pumpkin Doughnuts with Spiced Buttermilk Glaze
- Nicole from Daily Dish Recipes is making Pumpkin Donut Puffs
- Patti from Comfy Cuisine is bringing Classic Orange Marmalade
- Sunithi from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz is making Spiced Pumpkin Ricotta Muffins with Craisins and Walnuts
- Wendy from The Weekend Gourmet is cooking up some Pumpkin Maple Oatmeal
- Jamie from Mama Mommy Mom is bringing Butternut Squash Butter
- Chelsea from Chelsea’s Culinary Indulgence is bringing Pumpkin Spiced Donuts with Chai Icing
High Noon (Soups, Salads and Sandwiches)
- Renee from Magnolia Days is serving up some Butternut Squash Soup
- Beate from Galactopdx is bringing her Carrot Ginger Soup
- Jen from Juanita’s Cocina is making some Curried Sweet Potato Salad With Cranberries and Pecans
- Megan from I Run For Wine is making Skinny Roasted Butternut Squash and Italian Sausage Soup
- Sarah from What Smells So Good is filling our bowls with some Spicy Sweet Potato and Coconut Soup
- Alice from Hip Foodie Mom is coming with her Roasted Carrot and Red Quinoa Salad
- Susan from The Wimpy Vegetarian is making Cider – Spiced Sweet Potato Soup
- Tora from Tora’s Real Food is bringing Butternut Squash and Tomato Soup
- Melanie from From Fast Food to Fresh Food is making Monty’s Pumpkin Soup
- Lyn from The Lovely Pantry is bringing Roasted Pumpkin & Coconut Soup
- Kim from Cravings of a Lunatic is whipping up some Mandarin Chicken Salad
Sunset (Dinner and Main Dishes)
- Sarah from Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends is offering up some Pumpkin Ravioli
- Shelia from Pippis In The Kitchen Again is serving her Roasted Squash and Ricotta with Honey
- Pam from The Meltaways is making Spooky Stuffed Peppers
- Patsy from Famfriendsfood is bringing her Carrot Souffle
- Laura from Small Wallet Big Appetite is bringing Chicken and Sweet Potato Fritters
- Mehereen from Chattering Kitchen is making Sichuan Orange Glazed Chicken with Toasted Sesame Seeds
- Tammi from Momma’s Meals is making Hearty Pork Stew
- Kristin from Kwistin’s Favorites is making Orange Chicken
- Soni from Soni’s Food For Thought is cooking up some Rigatoni with Pumpkin Ricotta Sauce
- Shelby from Diabetic Foodie is cooking up some Moroccan Vegetable Stew
- Dara from Generation Y Foodie is bringing Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
- Brandie from Home Cooking Memories is sharing a DIY Baked Sweet Potato Bar
- Amber from Mama’s Blissful Bites is bringing Rice and Fig Stuffed Mini Pumpkins
By The Bonfire (Sweets, Snacks and Sips)
- Carla from Chocolate Moosey is making Pumpkin Tiramisu with Pumpkin Butter Caramel Sauce
- Heather from Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks is offering up some Pumpkin Cake Truffles
- Shelia from Cooking Underwriter is bringing Sweet Potato Bacon Beet Salsa
- Anne from Webicurean is making some Drunken Pumpkin Bread
- Karen from In The Kitchen With KP is making Oven Baked Sweet Potato Chips
- Leslie La Cocina De Leslie is making Sweet Potato Atole
- Seet Fei from My Trials in The Kitchen is bringing Sweet Potatoes Mini Balls
- Tara from Noshing With The Nolands is bringing Oranges En Suprise
- Susan from The Girl in The Red Kitchen is making Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Scone with Pumpkin Glaze
- Conni from Mrs. Mama Hen is making Orange Glazed Poundcake
- Isabel from Family Foodie is baking up Moist Pumpkin Bread
- Cindy from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings is baking up a Vegan Pumpkin Orange Cake
- Brenda from Meal Planning Magic is whipping up some Creamy Pumpkin Dip
- Laura from Family Spice is making some Unprocessed and Gluten Free Pumpkin Bread
- Kathya from Basic and Delicious is baking up Butternut Squash and Carrot Bread
- Liz from That Skinny Chick Can Bake is serving up Pumpkin Roll with Cream Cheese Filling
- Stephanie from The Cookie A Day Challenge is whipping up some Pumpkin Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Katie from She Like Ruffles, He Likes Truffles is bringing Pumpkin Harvest Cookies
- Nancy from Gotta Get Baked is baking up some Orange Macadamia Dark Chocolate Cookies
- Angie from Big Bear’s Wife is bringing Orange Soda Pumpkin Patch Cupcakes
- Katy from Happy Baking Days is bringing Carrot Cake with Orange Glaze
- Sandra from Midlife Road Trip is bringing Orange ya glad it’s fall! Hungarian Apricot/Walnut pastries
With a HUGE Syracuse basketball fan for a husband, our whole loves orange! And don’t forget, if you happen to be just hanging around on Sunday, feel free to join the #SundaySupper family on Twitter throughout the day. We’ll also be meeting up at 7:00 p.m. EST for our weekly #SundaySupper live chat to discuss our recipes for this week! All you have to do is follow the #SundaySupper hashtag! On Pinterest, check out the group’s incredible pictures and recipes on our #SundaySupper Pinterest board!
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled
- 2 egg whites
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 Tablespoons cinnamon sugar
- 2 Tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat oven to 425. Set a wire rack on top of a baking sheet. Spray rack with non-stick spray.
- Grate sweet potatoes and squeeze all the moisture. The more water you remove, the crispier the potatoes.
- Combine sweet potatoes, egg whites, salt, cinnamon sugar, and butter in a large bowl and mix until combined.
- Scoop out potato mixture with spoon, form into small patty shape, and set on wire rack. Try and press as thin as possible. Repeat until potatoes are all on the wire rack.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until potatoes and dark around the edges and crispy.