It’s a lazy Sunday. We had a breakfast of leftover ham and hash brown casserole, DH headed out for a walk while I sipped coffee and
tweeted watched some cartoons with the kids. When he returned he was was ready to bake. Baby loves blueberry muffins and he promised earlier in the week to make her some.
DH also wanted to make a version a little healthier than the store bought ones, so he found this recipe for blueberry bran muffins. He and Baby set to baking while I was upstairs working on the next installment of the great organization project of 2011, so I apologize for the lack of pictures during the making of the muffins.
1 1/2 cups wheat bran
1 cup nonfat milk
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
2. Grease muffin cups or use paper muffin liners.
3. Mix together wheat bran and milk, and let stand for 10 minutes.
4. In a large bowl, mix together applesauce, egg, brown sugar, and vanilla. Beat in bran mixture.
5. Sift together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir into bran mixture until just blended.
6. Fold in blueberries.
7. Scoop into muffin cups.
8. Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until tops spring back when lightly tapped.
The muffins turned out great! Kudos to DH for his recipe choice! The only change DH made to the recipe was substituting wheat germ for the wheat bran. They fresh blueberries had a nice pop of tartness and the muffin didn’t crumble as you took a bite. I can’t stand crumbly muffins! As I ate one, my inner Paula Deen was screaming the muffin would taste even better with some butter slathered on it, but we were trying to make a healthier version, y’all. It’s also nice DH used the mini muffin tins. This way it’s a fun treat to accompany Baby’s usual bowl of cereal breakfast.
Did you bake anything this weekend?
You can find the recipe here at AllRecipes.com.