This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Crystal Farms Cheese. All opinions are 100% mine.
I recently had a friend introduce me to making taco meat in the slow cooker. My mind was blown. I have always made my taco meat on the stove, but going back to two working parent household calls for some changes in our weekly meal plan. Once school starts again our schedules will get a little tighter. Dinner will need to be on the table in minutes, not hours. These delicious Slow Cooker Turkey Taco Sloppy Joes cook during the day, so dinner is almost ready when we get home.
I have a habit of buying taco dinner kits when they are on sale at my local grocery store. When they are discounted, I can buy a kit with shells, seasoning and sauce all for the same price of an envelope of seasoning alone. My husband goes through the crunchy corn shells like crazy, but I was always left with a surplus of taco sauce packets. My friend uses the sauce when she makes taco meat in the slow cooker. I immediately decided to try the idea and switch up our taco Tuesday by serving Turkey Taco Sloppy Joes that my family would love.
What really takes these sloppy joes from ordinary to extraordinary is the variety of taco toppings. What you top your taco, or in this case sloppy joe, makes all the difference in taste. I reach for Crystal Farms Cheese to ensure I’m serving my family a natural product with few preservatives and a rich source of calcium.
My favorite go to recipes for back to school involve my slow cooker. Fast and easy works great for me with 2 kids in school, and both DH and I back to work. Since 1926, Crystal Farms has been committed to providing the highest quality products to their consumers. You can find the consistent quality and great tasting products in the refrigerated dairy section of your local grocery store. and for those families that have gluten concerns, all Crystal Farms products are gluten-free. Need more recipe ideas? Check out these family pleasing Crystal Farms favorites.
Since we can all use more time saving strategies, I am happy to share that the generous folks at Crystal Farms Cheese are allowing me to give away an awesome Crock-Pot Programmable Cook and Carry Oval Slow Cookerfor one of you to win! Wahoo!
- Taco Meat
- 20 oz package of lean ground turkey
- 1 envelope of your favorite taco seasoning
- ½ Cup of water
- 1 Cup of your favorite taco sauce
- Hamburger buns
- Taco Sloppy Joe Toppings
- Shredded lettuce
- Diced cherry tomatoes
- Shredded Crystal Farms Cheddar Cheese
- Sour cream
- Place thawed ground turkey into slow cooker and turn on high.
- Sprinkle taco seasoning over ground turkey and cover with lid.
- Allow turkey to cook for about 45-60 minutes, then lift lid and break up ground turkey and stir seasoning.
- Add water and taco sauce to meat mixture and thoroughly mix.
- Replace lid and continue to cook oh high for another 2 hours, checking occasionally and stirring meat until completely cooked.
- When ground turkey is fully cooked, reduce temp to low and continue to stir occasionally to further break up meat crumbles to desired size. I like to use a potato masher for a smaller crumble consistency. If you want more saucy style sloppy joes, feel free to add more taco sauce to the mixture while simmering.
- Transfer meat to serving dish when you are ready for dinner.
- Assemble sloppy joes and add desired toppings.