Friday calls for fun food and in our house, the occasional adult beverage. Last Friday was the start of the long holiday weekend. I already had the day off from work, so when 5:00 rolled around I was definitely in the mood for a frozen margarita. So were all of you according to your facebook comments.
What food goes best with a margarita…why Mexican food of course!
I’m sure it’s 5:00 somewhere while you’re reading this, so go ahead and grab your own favorite beverage and check out the recipe DH made for dinner.
1 pound ground beef
1 1/2 cups chunky salsa
1 (10 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
3/4 cup creamy salad dressing (e.g. Miracle Whip)
1 teaspoon chili powder
2 cups crushed tortilla chips
2 cups Colby cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Place ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring to crumble, until evenly browned. Drain grease.
3. Remove ground beef from the heat, and stir the salsa, corn, salad dressing and chili powder into the beef.
4. In a 2 quart casserole dish, layer the ground beef mixture, tortilla chips and cheese twice, ending with cheese on top.
5. Bake for 20 minutes uncovered in the preheated oven, until cheese is melted and dish is thoroughly heated.
I am happy to announce DH is now comfortable enough with cooking with a recipe that he can decide how to adjust it for our family’s liking.
In this dish, he substituted:
- ground turkey for the ground beef
- Rotel diced tomatoes for the salsa
- sour cream for the salad dressing
- shredded cheddar jack for colby cheese
I was very pleased with the flavors of this recipe. It was perfect for a Friday easy meal. You can find the recipe here from Allrecipes.com.
However, I do feel it was more like eating appetizer nachos than a full meal. Next time, instead of layering all the ingredients and baking as a casserole, we may just use the recipe for game day eats by filling a baking sheet with tortilla chips, add the meat mixture, and top with the shredded cheese.
Did someone say Game Day?
Are you ready for some football?