Food is ever present in our lives. Yes, we need it to survive, but it’s more than that. Food can trigger intricate details in memories. Does the smell of fresh baked cookies remind you of your grandmother’s kitchen? Does a specific chicken dish remind you of a loved filled family celebration? Food memories can take you back in time, so for a little fun the #SundaySupper group is taking on the challenge to share our favorite Retro Recipe. I already posted how my favorite Impossible Cheeseburger Pie transports me back to my childhood, I needed a new recipe. I decided on a delicious salad that I saw at every family picnic while growing up…Sweet and Smoky Broccoli Salad.
I love the sweet and tangy flavors the dressing lends to the crunchy fresh broccoli. Adding the smoky bacon of course takes it to another level. I modified this recipe for my current eating plan of Phase one of the South Beach Diet, but you can certainly use real sugar in the dressing, and regular bacon versus the turkey. I’ll be enjoying this salad for the next day or two. So far I don’t have any volunteers to help me eat it. No other fans of uncooked broccoli in our house.
Food memories are different for everyone. This week, you will find some old school, unchanged recipes, and some new ones with maybe an updated twist or modernized for today. Either way, you are going to see some amazing foods.
Sunday Supper Retro Appetizers:
- Irish Cheddar-Whiskey Fondue by girlichef
- Retro Football Party: Fondue, Deviled Chicken Wings & Lemon Chiffon by Zest Florida Foodie
- She Devils: Beet Pickled Deviled Eggs by Ruffles & Truffles
Sunday Supper Retro Salads:
- Coca-Cola Salad by Magnolia Days
- Salmon Salad | Retro Tuna Salad by Family Foodie
- Ambrosia Salad by Simply Gourmet
- Romaine “Wedge” Salad with Hot Maple Bacon Dressing by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Carrot & Raisin Salad by The Roxx Box
- Sweet & Smoky Broccoli Salad by In The Kitchen with KP
Sunday Supper Retro Breads and Sandwiches:
- Italian Style Bread by The Meltaways
- Creamed Chipped Salmon Jerky on Toast by Pescetarian Journal
- Grown-Up Tuna Melts by Home Cooking Memories
- English Muffin Pizzas by Comfy Cuisine
- Patty Melt, Hand Cut Fries, & a Shake by Mooshu Jenne
- Grown-Up Grilled Cheese with Tomato Soup by The Catholic Foodie
- Toast Topper #16: Grandma’s Mock Apricot Jam by Yummy What Smells So Good?
SundaySupper Main Dishes:
- Chicken Pot Pie Topped With Bacon Cheddar Biscuits by Chocolate Moosey
- Tuna Noodle Casserole by Country Girl in the Village
- Nana’s Marinated Beef Roast by Supper for a Steal
- Chorizo Scotch Eggs by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Chicken Maryland by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Mushroom Stroganoff by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Dairyfree Toast Hawaii by Galactosemia in PDX
- Porcupine Meatballs by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Chicken Kiev by The Urban Mrs.
- Salmon Quiche with Preserved Lemon by Shockingly Delicious
- Steak Diane by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Fried Chicken only in the Oven by In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Hambak Steak a.k.a. Salisbury Steak by Kimchi Mom
- Retro-Redo: Homemade TV Dinner by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Kicked Up Meatloaf by Curious Cuisiniere
- Shrimp Scampi (a lighter version) by Kudos Kitchen
- Old-Fashioned Pork Chops by My Trial in the Kitchen
- Jägerschnitzel by Sustainable Dad
- Healthier Hamburger-Corn Noodle Casserole by The Weekend Gourmet
- Tuna Noodle Casserole by Cookistry
- Chicken-N-Biscuits Pot Pie Casserole by The Messy Baker Blog
- Souper Pork Chops with Mashed Potatoes by Mama.Mommy.Mom
- Meatloaf that will make you swoon and Datz the truth by Midlife Roadtrip
Sunday Supper Retro Sides and Veggies:
- Smokey Braised Red Cabbage by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Classic Corn Casserole by The Foodie Army Wife
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon & Balsamic by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Classic Green Bean Casserole Redux by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Mem’s Broccoli Casserole by Momma’s Meals
- Tator Tot Casserole by Neighbor Food Blog
Sunday Supper Retro Desserts and Cocktails:
- Peachy Keen Tutti-Frutti Jello by La Cocina de Leslie
- Old School Boozy Rum Cake by Webicurean
- Individual Baked Alaskas by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Rainbow Jello by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake by Noshing with the Nolands
- Pineapple Bars by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Creamy Dairy Free Fresh Orange Julius With Coconut Milk by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Refrigerator Strawberry Cheesecake by There and Back Again
- Frozen Pineapple Upside-Down Cake by Juanita’s Cocina
- Boston Cream Pie by Gotta Get Baked
- Coca-Cola Cupcakes by Daily Dish Recipes
- Jello Poke Cake by Flour On My Face
- Devil’s Food Cake by Maroc Mama
- Bread Pudding with Pecans by Basic and Delicious
- Victoria Sponge Cake by The Lovely Pantry
- A Chocolate Twist on the Classic Japanese Strawberry Shortcake by Ninja Baking
- Post War Apple Pudding by My Cute Bride
- Spaghetti with Currywurst Sauce by Masala Herb
- Layered Mini Chocolate Banana Cakes by Big Bears Wife
- Raspberry Jam Cakes by Pippis in the Kitchen Again
- Cocktail: Moscow Mule by Crazy Foodie Stunts
Do you have a favorite retro recipe that transports you to the past when you make and serve it? We’d love for you to share it with the #SundaySupper group! Join us on Twitter throughout the day by following the hashtag #SundaySupper.
We’ll all be chatting up a storm during out live chat, Sunday evening at 7:00 pm(Eastern). Just follow the #SundaySupper hashtag there too. Oh, and if you’re on Pinterest, pop on over to see all the gorgeous pictures that accompany our recipes on the #SundaySupper Pinterest board!
- 4 cups fresh broccoli
- ¼ cup small red onion, diced small
- 6 slices cooked turkey bacon, crumbled
- ¼ cup sunflower kernels
- ½ cup grated low fat cheddar cheese
- Dressing Ingredients:
- ½ cup mayo
- 3 T rice wine vinegar, white wine vinegar, or red wine vinegar
- 3 Splenda packets
- salt/pepper to taste
- Combine dressing ingredients in bowl with a wire whisk. Place dressing in fridge to allow flavors to blend.
- Wash and dry broccoli. Chop broccoli florets and stems into very small pieces.
- Dice onion into small piece
- Crumble the bacon
- Combine broccoli, onion, bacon, and sunflower kernels in large bowl.
- Mix dressing into salad
- Gently fold in cheese.
- Refrigerate salad for a few hours before serving.