Summer vacation. Kids are home and if I was home with them and DH, more than likely I would be hearing the words “I’m bored” repeatedly. I have the luxury of running off to my office every day, but DH doesn’t. Poor guy. So to help him out I have stockpiled a few fun ideas for #DadCamp. One of the kids’ favorites so far has been when he showed them How To Make Chocolate Pretzel Flowers. Not only did they have fun making them, enjoying the sweet snack was just as awesome!
I love that you can mix up the colors of the chocolate candies to either a holiday season or just whatever you happen to have in the house at the time. We had some spring colored candies from Easter so that’s what we used.
Start by preheating the oven to 200 degrees F. The low temp is needed for softening the chocolate without completely melting the kisses to liquid. Place a single layer of small pretzels on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Put one Hershey’s Kiss on top of each pretzel and bake in the oven for 5 minutes.
When the chocolate kisses are soft and slightly melted, remove from the oven. Carefully place a light colored chocolate candy in the center of the pretzel, we used a white one. Place different Spring colored chocolate candies in a circle around the pretzel to form a flower. It may even be helpful to remove the parchment paper from the cookie sheet so little hands don’t accidentally touch the warm pan.
Finally allow the chocolate pretzel flowers to cool completely before serving or storing. Hopefully they will be cooled off enough before they are popped in little mouths. This isn’t really a recipe, but I added the ingredients and instructions in a recipe card for easy printing. I’m also sharing my Pinterest board with tons of fun kid activities so you can start your own stash of boredom crushers.
What’s your favorite Go-To activity to prevent Summertime boredom?
- 1 Bag of small pretzels
- 1 Bag of Hershey's kisses
- assorted colorful chocolate candies
- Parchment paper
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Place a single layer of small pretzels on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Put one Hershey's kiss on top of each pretzel and bake in the oven for 5 minutes.
- When melted, remove from the oven and place a light colored chocolate candies in the center of the pretzel, we used a white one.
- Place different colored chocolate candies in a circle around the pretzel to form a flower.
- Allow the pretzel flowers to cool completely before serving or storing.