Now that Fall is here, I find us spending more time outside. The cool crisp air is invigorating, and the sun is bright and soul warming. On the weekend, we often want to get out of the house right after breakfast. When we head out for the day, I like to pack a few nutritious snacks in my bag. My son is a huge fan of fruit cereal bars, so I tried my hand at making my own version filled with all of his favorite nuts, seeds and Alpha-Bits cereal. My Homemade Super Nutty AlphaBits Cereal Bars are the perfect on the go snack for your next visit to the pumpkin patch or Fall foliage trek.
Having a whole grain and protein packed snack at the ready when the family is out and about has multiple bonuses for this Mom. First, we don’t need to stop at a local drive-through for food, and second, I nip the “I’m hungry” whines in the bud before they even start.
I already know that Alpha-Bits is a nutritious cereal, with 20g of whole grains, so adding it to my homemade cereal bars is a no brainer. And speaking of brains, Alpha-Bits contains zinc and iron to support healthy brain development, plus who can resist working in a little spelling in the kitchen while baking? Jed had fun helping me arrange a little extra Alpha-Bits cereal on top of the cereal bars to practice his letters.
Little ones love playing with their food and Alpha-Bits can help make breakfast and snack time educational by including Aplha-Bits cereal. The letter shaped pieces can help little ones become familiar with the letters of the alphabet, and even get a jump on spelling beginner words. Want your little ones to learn simply by playing with their food? You can purchase Alpha-Bits here and get them started on their own path to learning with letters.
This cereal bar mix is a little heavy with all the added ingredients. I made it in my stand mixer, because the first time I made it with my hand mixer I almost broke it. However, if you don’t have a stand mixer, I suggest mixing the first ingredients and then stirring in all the nuts, seeds, and chocolate chips by hand. This recipe also makes quite a few bars, so I like to freeze some for later. I am all about having homemade snacks within reach anytime I need to grab some and go.
What’s your favorite fall activity to that gets your family out and about?
- 1 Cup flour
- 2 Cup regular oats
- ½ Cup softened butter
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- ¾ Cup light brown sugar
- 1 Cup of AlphaBits cereal
- ½ Cup chopped almonds
- ½ Cup sunflower kernels
- ½ Cup shelled pumpkin seeds
- ½ Cup milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In stand mixer, combine flour, brown sugar, butter, and sweetened condensed milk. Mix thoroughly to forms a batter like consistency.
- Continue to blend and add oats and chocolate chips to mixture.
- Add all nuts, seeds and cereal to mixture and mix to combine completely.
- Line a 9X13 baking dish with parchment paper
- Spread mixture evenly into baking dish and press firmly
- Sprinkle a few extra chocolate chips, cereal, or nuts on top and press firmly into the mixture (if desired)
- Bake 20-25 minutes in oven. Center of mixture should be firm and fully baked.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Cut into bars or squares and serve.