For Christmas I bought DH a magazine filled with ground beef recipes. We have a fun time not only experimenting with the recipes, but we also tend to swap ground turkey for ground beef quite often. I’m not one to boast that ground turkey tastes the same as ground beef. In My opinion, there is nothing like a flame grilled beef burger, but depending on flavor profile your creating, sometimes using lean ground turkey improves the recipe.
As grilling season fast approaches, I wanted to share one of our new favorite burgers. These petite Hawaiian sliders are slightly sweet with just a hint of heat. I would have added a segment of grilled pineapple ring for extra pizazz if I had one on hand at the time.
1 can unsweetened crushed pineapple (20 oz)
1 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 lbs ground turkey
1/4 C reduced sodium soy sauce
2 Tbs ketchup
1 Tbs white vinegar
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
18 miniature buns
1. Drain pineapple, reserving juice and measuring out 1 1/2 C (save remainder for alt use)
2. In large bowl combine 3/4 C of crushed pineapple, pepper, salt and ground turkey.
3. Mix well, shape into 18 patties, and place in two 11″x7″ dishes.
4. In small bowl, combine soy sauce, ketchup, vinegar, garlic, pepper flakes and reserved pineapple juice.
5. Pour half of marinade into each dish, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour, turning once.
6. After draining/discarding marinade, grill patties until cooked thoroughly.
7. Serve on miniature buns
These delectable burgers not only work as dinner when paired with sides, but they would be awesome as appetizers for a party. Invite some friends over, light the grill and whip up some frozen drinks! Instant party! Hmmmm…I think I just planned my own Cinco de Mayo celebration. 🙂
Do you fire up your grill year round or prefer grilling in the warmer months of the year?
Recipe from Taste of Home magazine and submitted by Mary Relyea, Canastota, NY.