The temperature is heating up here in Georgia. I try not to use the oven on hot days so I don’t add to the heat in the house. The air conditioning works hard enough down here in the south! No oven means grilling!
I love cooking on the grill, but I tend to only stick to the usual grill items like, hamburgers, hot dogs, steak, chicken…you get the idea. I’ve dabbled with kabobs with a few veggies, but vow this summer to expand outside my culinary comfort zone.
This past week I lined up my first veggie side to fire up on the grill.
Balsamic and Honey Glazed Carrots!
6 carrots (as equal in size as possible)
1/8 cup Balsamic vinegar
1/8 cup Honey
1. Combine the balsamic and honey in a small bowl, whisk to combine and set aside.
2. Peel, trim and slice the carrots in half horizontally.
3. Cook the carrots on high in the microwave for two minutes, or until they are slightly flexible. This shortens the grilling time greatly.
(Note: You may need to adjust the cooking time depending on the size of your carrots and the power of your microwave.)
4. Grill the carrots on a medium-high grill (about 400*) for three minutes.
5. Flip them over, brush them with the glaze and continue grilling another three minutes.
6. Remove the carrots to a platter and brush them with the glaze.
7. Serve and enjoy.
We loved these carrots. I’ll admit I have to work at making some prettier grill marks, but the smoky sweet flavor of the grilled honey/balsamic mixture was delicious. It was nice seeing my husband and Baby eating a second helping of a vegetable at dinner time. We would definitely make these again as a side while grilling. They were the perfect complement to our lip smackin’ BBQ sauced ribs.
What’s your favorite vegetable to cook outside on the grill?
You can find the recipe HERE from Patio Daddio BBQ.