If you have never had pierogies, you are definitely missing out on a treat. My favorite way to cook them is in a frying pan with delicious caramelized onions. Leave it to my husband to find a totally new way to enjoy this yummy potato side dish.
1 lb ground beef
1/2 C chopped onion
1/4 C all purpose flour
1 can (14 1/2 oz) beef broth
1 pkg (16 oz) frozen cheese and potato pierogies, thawed
2 C frozen mixed vegetables, thawed and drained
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp italian seasoning
1/2 C shredded cheddar cheese
1. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink
2. Drain beef, reserving 3 tablespoons of drippings
3. Sprinkle the flour over beef and drippings; stir until blended.
4. Gradually add beef broth and bring to a boil
5. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
6. Stir in the pierogies, vegetables and seasonings.
7. Cook uncovered, for 4-5 minutes or until heated through.
8. Sprinkle with cheese if desired.
This dish was really easy to throw together. Combining the frozen/pre-made pierogies, frozen mixed veggies, and ground beef allowed a super fast prep time too which is always great. DH used the veggies in a steam bag and shortened the cook time slightly. That way the vegetables were perfect after tossing them in the casserole mixture to cook the rest of the way and allow the flavors to blend. We also decided to not top the dish with cheese. To be honest, I didn’t think it needed it since we used cheese and potato pierogies. Don’t hesitate to throw it on for yourself if you like your dishes extra cheesy.
What’s your favorite way to make pierogies?
Recipe from Taste of Home magazine from the Taste of Home Kitchen.