Yes! No Joke! Today is Gummi Worm Day, so we are celebrating by making Dirt Dessert Cups! DH and the kids arrived home yesterday, from spending a fun week at Grandmom’s house in PA. I missed them terribly, and I wanted to make them all a special treat for their first evening home. What is more fun than Cookies and Creme Dirt Dessert Cups made with Jell-O pudding and Oreos? Pretty much nothing in my book!
Did I mention, I love Oreos too?
This recipe could not be any easier. I made the instant pudding, and put it in the fridge to chill, while I crushed some cookies in a small sealed bag. Once I knew the time frame DH and the kids were arriving, I planned the quick and easy assembly. One tip I will share, Cool Whip seems to have a mind of it’s own on where it wants to go. It can quickly make a mess in the cup, and eliminate any hope of a pretty layered dessert. I scooped some of the whipped topping into a resealable bag, cut one of the corners off, and then piped in the whipped topping layer like icing. It worked so well, I may even try it with the pudding next time too!
This is just one variation on the original Dirt Cups recipe found here, and it was delicious! I wish I could say the kids devoured it, but that would be false. Picky Jed ate a few of the gummi worms, and baby took 2 bites, proclaiming she was still full from dinner. DH and I had no problem empyting our cups though.
What’s your favorite variation to do when making the classic Dirt Dessert?
- 1 pkg. (3.9 oz.) JELL-O Cookies and Cream Instant Pudding
- 2 cups cold milk
- 2-3 oz COOL WHIP Whipped Topping, thawed
- 15 OREO Cookies, finely crushed (about 1-1/4 cups), divided
- 10 worm-shaped chewy fruit snacks
- In large bowl, add pudding mix and milk. Whisk together until completely blended. Let stand 5 min.
- In small dessert cups, spoon ¼ Cup of cookies & cream pudding into bottom
- Top pudding with layer of Oreo cookie crumbs
- Tops cookie crumbs with a layer of cool Whip
- Add another ¼ Cup of pudding for next layer
- Top with another layer of cookie crumbs
- Refrigerate at least one hour.
- Top with gummi worms just before serving