I told you about how much I love candy corn, but if it’s not your favorite candy treat, this recipe is a fun idea to use just a few of those sweet litttle kernels in a more decorative way. Layering in some simple food coloring helps transform plain Rice Krispie treats into something full of festive Fall color. The bright orange and yellow layers mimic the traditional candy corn itself and create these adorably delicious Candy Corn Rice Krispies Treats!
I love the versatility of Rice Krispies Treats. You can easily transform them into a treat on a stick, switch up the marshmallow flavors, or decorate them for any occasion. Of course my traditionalist husband, will always prefer to eat them straight out of the pan before they even have fully cooled. Who can blame him? Rice Krispies Treats have been around for years, and with all the new ways to get creative making them, they will be here for years to come.
What’s your favorite way to indulge with some fresh and gooey Rice Krispies Treats?
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine (divided)
- 2 packages marshmallows (you will need 45 large marshmallows)
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1 package of candy corn. (approx 9 oz.)
- food coloring gel orange and yellow (or regular food coloring)
- 9x9 cake pan
- non stick-cooking spray
- wax paper or parchment paper
- Spray the 9x9 cake pan with non-stick cooking spray. You will be making 3 batches of rice krispies treats in all. We are going to divide the marshmallow, rice krispies and butter into thirds to complete the recipe.
- Divide the candy corn equally into three separate bowls. You will be using 1 bowl for each level of the rice krispies treat. You will also need to have a piece of parchment paper or wax paper square cut and sprayed with non-stick cooking spray (this will help you press down the rice krispie mixture without it sticking to your hands.
- Place 2 cups of rice krispies into a medium size bowl. Grab a small sauce pan and place 1 tablespoon of butter in it. Place onto the stove top on medium heat and add 15 marshmallows to the butter. Stir conistently until melted. Add in yellow coloring gel (or food coloring) and mix well. Here is where you need to be quick. Pour yellow marshmallow mixture over rice krispie treats and add one of the bowls of candy corn and mix quickly. While still warm poor into your 9x9 cake pan. Spray a piece of wax or parchment paper and use it to press down on the mixture to cover the bottom of the pan. Do not smash hard or you will end up with crumbled rice krispies treats.
- Repeat step 3 with the orange gel (if using food coloring it take 12 drops of yellow and 4 red to make orange). Pour the orange mixture over the yellow mixture and press down to cover pan.
- Repeat step 3 again but do not add any coloring to this one. Again you will need to pour it over the yellow mixture.
- You will now have all three layers into place and you need to allow it to cool before cutting.
- Cut them into squares and add a garnish of icing or cool whip to the top of each before serving.