As I have gotten older, my tastes have changed from craving salty, crunchy snacks, to anything sweet. I have been enjoying letting my inner baker come out once in a while. My favorite thing to bake lately has been bundt cakes with the #BundtAMonth crew. We are given a theme for the month, and then we all go to town to come up with an awesome bundt cake.
This month’s theme was tropical. When I think about tropical, palm trees, coconuts, and pina colada drinks with little umbrellas, come to mind. I decided to go with coconut, but take it a step further. What resulted was this decadent Chocolate Bundt with Coconut Cream Cheese Filling.
This cake was a unique combination of two recipes, and a little bit of modification from me. Baking is a science, so I try and stick as close to a recipe as possible. I have found my “wing it” attitude while cooking, does not work well with baking.
I started with the chocolate cake mixture from my Chocolate Peanut Butter Layered Bundt Cake. This batter is not overly sweet, but has a great fudgy texture (almost like brownies) when baked. Then I sweetened up the cream cheese filling recipe I found HERE From Vanilla Sugar Blog. I also used a great suggestion from Vanilla Sugar Blog to use a mini cookie scoop for placing the filling in the pan. I ended up with an awesome tunnel of coconut cream cheese filling through the whole cake.
Of course with my love of sweets, I end up taking the majority of any baked good to the office. Personally, I don’t think my coworkers mind too much.
If coconut isn’t your first choice when you dream of tropical vacations, then you should head on over to check out all the other fabulous tropical themed bundt cakes for this month’s #BundAMonth round up!
- Bananas Foster Bundt by Anita from Hungry Couple
- Blue Hawaiian Bundt Cake by Tara from Noshing With The Nolands
- Chocolate Bundt With Coconut Cream Cheese Filling by Karen from In The Kitchen With KP
- Caramelized Mango Tropical Bundt Cake by Paula from Vintage Kitchen
- Chocolate Coconut Bundt Cake by Kim from Cravings Of A Lunatic
- Coconut and Rum Tea Cake by Anuradha from Baker Street
- Coconut Banana Bundt Cake with Rum Glaze by Lora from Cake Duchess
- Coconut Bundt Cake by Holly from A Baker’s House
- Coconut Lime Bundt Cake by Kate from Food Babbles
- Hummingbird Bundt Cake by Heather from Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks
- Hummingbird Bundt Cake by Jennie from The Messy Baker Blog
- Lime Glazed Bundt Cake by Carrie from Poet In The Pantry
- Mini Pineapple Bundt Cakes with White Chocolate Ganache by Alice from Hip Foodie Mom
- Pina Colada Bundt Cake by Renee from Magnolia Days
- Pineapple Bundt with Kuih Tat Filling by Stacy from Food Lust People Love
- Strawberry and Banana Bundt Cake by Veronica from My Catholic Kitchen
- Vanilla Orange Bundt Cake with a Hint of Coconut by Laura from The Spiced Life
- White Chocolate Guava Cake by Kim from Ninja Baking
- Chocolate Cake Batter
- 1½ cups Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- ⅓ cup Hershey’s® baking cocoa
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- ½ teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- ½ teaspoon coconut extract
- Cream cheese Filling
- 1 Egg yolk
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- ⅔ cup powdered sugar
- 1 ½ cup of sweetened coconut flakes
- ½ teaspoon coconut extract
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- ½ Cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray bundt pan with Pam and coat generously with plain bread crumbs.
- In large bowl, mix flour, cocoa, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Add oil, water, vinegar, vanilla, coconut extract to flour mixture, stirring just until smooth (do not overmix).
- In another large bowl, beat egg yolk, cream cheese, and coconut extract with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Add powdered sugar and coconut flakes; beat until creamy well blended and creamy.
- Pour half of chocolate batter into bundt pan
- Drop small dollops of cream cheese mixture with small ice cream scoop on top of chocolate batter. Place the dollops close together to form a solid ring of filling.
- Cover with remaining chocolate batter
- Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean (do not overbake).
- Cool in pan 10 minutes.
- Invert pan onto baking rack and allow cake to completely cool before topping with glaze.
- Making glaze
- Melt butter in small bowl
- Stir in powdered sugar until texture is almost crumbly in texture
- Add milk a little at a time to butter/sugar mixture.
- Add coconut extract to glaze mixture
- Continue to stir until desired consistency for drizzling.
- Mixture should be smooth and opaque.
- Drizzle glaze over completely cooled cake
- Sprinkle with additional sweetened coconut flakes if desired
- Allow glaze to cool and set for 5-10 minutes, then serve.
Here’s how you can be a part of Bundt-a-Month:
- Simple rule: Use a tropical ingredient – and bake a Bundt for March
- Post it before March 31, 2013.
- Use the #BundtAMonth hashtag in your title. (For ex: title should read #BundtAMonth: Chocolate Cinnamon Bundt)
- Add your entry to the Linky tool below
- Link back to our announcement posts.
About the Author (Author Profile)Happily married with two children, Karen does not hesitate to rebuff her family’s hungry advances at mealtime, while she styles and photographs their dinner to share on Instagram before serving them. In The Kitchen With KP is full of family friendly adventures around Atlanta (and beyond), plus simple recipes everyone can feel comfortable trying. In fact, her whole family participates in the cooking/baking fun on a regular basis.
Sites That Link to this Post
- #BundtAMonth: Vanilla Orange Bundt Cake with a Hint of Coconut | The Spiced Life | March 7, 2013
- Pina Colada Bundt Cake Recipe for #BundtAMonth | March 7, 2013
- Mini Pineapple Bundt Cakes with White Chocolate Ganache for #BundtaMonthHip Foodie Mom | Hip Foodie Mom | March 7, 2013
- Blue Hawaiian Bundt Cake for #BundtaMonth | Noshing With The Nolands | March 7, 2013
- Coconut Lime Bundt Cake | March 7, 2013
- Coconut Lime Cake BundtAMonth | Diethood | March 7, 2013
- Chocolate Bundt With Coconut Cream Cheese Filling #BundtAMonth - inthekitchenwithkp - SE Ambassadors - VZW Monitor | March 7, 2013
- Mini Pancakes With Strawberries and Creme Brulee Glaze #AJLilGriddlesCG - In The Kitchen With KP | March 14, 2013
- Coconut Banana Bundt Cake with Rum Glaze-#BundtaMonth | March 29, 2013
- Coconut Banana Bundt Cake with Rum Glaze-#BundtaMonth — Cake Duchess | April 21, 2013
- Chocolate Coconut Bundt Cake | #BundtaMonth | Cravings of a Lunatic | April 27, 2013
- Cinnamon Praline Pecan Swirl Bundt Cake #BundtAMonth : In The Kitchen With KP | June 7, 2013