Seems like only last week I was prepping my #SundaySupper post to celebrate Memorial weekend, and now here we are already talking about the 4th of July, next Wednesday. Holy cow! Where does the time go?
This week’s theme for Sunday Supper is all about celebrating the 4th of July with family and friends. Nothing is more fun to me than grillin’ and chillin’ on a lazy Sunday evening. With the weather’s current temps here in Atlanta pushing triple digits, there was no way I wanted the oven on in the kitchen. The only appliance I wanted on was the blender crushing some ice for my margarita.
I braved the incredible heat to dash to my local market. I would love to say I was inspired by the freshness everywhere, but to be honest, I was convinced by the holiday sale prices! Juicy ribs, gorgeous corn on the cob, and new potatoes all joined in sweet harmony to belt out a chorus of Bubblin’ Brown Sugar Baby Back Ribs! Yeah, that’s not really a song, but whatever.
The last time I made ribs, they were pretty tasty, but under the BBQ sauce, the meat was just not as flavorful as I wanted. This time I decided to marinate the ribs first. I know the basics of a marinade consists of an acid and usually an oil, so I decided to try and see if I could take a good rub recipe and turn it into a marinade.
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup paprika
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 Cup olive oil
1/4 Cup white or cider vinegar
2 Tablespoons water
1. Mix all ingredients together thoroughly
2. Pour marinade over spareribs and refrigerate for 30-60 minutes, turning halfway through to coat completely.
3. Grill over indirect heat on low until cooked through.
4. Move to direct heat, slather with BBQ sauce, and continue to grill until sauce caramelizes and ribs are done to your level of charred perfection.
- Tender & Sweet Crockpot Brisket Juanita’s Cocina
- Savory Patriotic Chicken Kabobs Big Bear’s Wife
- Firecracker Salmon Rolls Comfy Cuisine
- Red, White & Blue Grilled Pizza Momma’s Meals
- Baby Back Ribs with Balsamic Peach BBQ Sauce Damn Delicious
- Bubblin’ Brown Sugar Baby Back Ribs In The Kitchen With KP
- Buttermilk Oven Fried Chicken The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Grilled Hawaiian Teriyaki Beef Mrs. Mama Hen
- Cantaloupe and Prosciutto Salad with Perfectly Grilled Chicken and Potatoes Daddy Knows Less
- Texas Smoked Brisket Doggie At The Dinner Table
- Grilled Chicken in a Blueberry BBQ Sauce Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Chicken Burgers with Curried Cabbage Slaw-Indian Soni’s Food for Thought
- Finger Foods for the Fourth Pescetarian Journal
- Grilled Pork Satays with Peanut Sauce Tora’s Real Food
Salads and Sides:
- Southwestern Corn and Black Bean Salad Supper for a Steal
- Roasted/Grilled Asparagus with Parmesan Katherine Martinelli
- Patriotic Ranch Potato Salad The Meltaways
- Roasted Red Pepper & White Bean Salad Are you hungry
- Texas-Creole Crawfish Potato Salad The Weekend gourmet
- Spicy Italian Peppers in Sauce What Smells so Good?
- Sangria Fruit Salad Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Stuffed Black Olive Cookistry
- Mexican Quinoa Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing Dinners Dishes and Desserts
- Low Fat Pasta Salad Basic and Delicious
- Bean Salad with Pickled Vegetables Diabetic Foodie
- Fourth Sticks In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Tomato and Mozzarella Appetizer Family Foodie
- Red White & Blueberry Ricotta Cupcakes Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Red Velvet Brownies Magnolia Days
- S’mores Pastries Daily Dish Recipes
- Red, White and Blue Firecracker Cupcakes Chocolate Moosey
- Caramel-filled Vanilla Cupcakes with Vanilla Bean Buttercream The Messy Baker
- Strawberry and Cream Cake Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- White Chocolate Berry Tart Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Red White and Blue Coconut Rum Cake Family Spice
- Individual Red White and Blue Triffles Chelsea’s Culinary Indulgence
- Mini Carrot Cakes Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Plum and Apple Pies Cositas Bonitas
Oh, and you can find the rub recipe I used as a base for my marinade here from About.com.
Join us this week for our largest collection of blogger recipes yet for #SundaySupper. We want you to share yours with us! The fun starts at 3pm EST and lasts all afternoon until dinner time and sometimes beyond. All you have to do is follow the hashtag #sundaysupper on twitter.
About the Author (Author Profile)Happily married with two children, Karen does not hesitate to rebuff her family’s hungry advances at mealtime, while she styles and photographs their dinner to share on Instagram before serving them. In The Kitchen With KP is full of family friendly adventures around Atlanta (and beyond), plus simple recipes everyone can feel comfortable trying. In fact, her whole family participates in the cooking/baking fun on a regular basis.
Sites That Link to this Post
- Sweet ‘n Tender Crockpot Brisket ~ #SundaySupper for the 4th of July! | Juanita's Cocina | July 1, 2012
- Tomato and Mozzarella Easy Appetizer | July 1, 2012
- Roasted (or Grilled!) Asparagus | July 1, 2012
- Celebrating Fourth of July with Family and Friends | July 1, 2012
- #SundaySupper Mini Carrot Cakes | Mama's Blissful Bites | July 1, 2012
- Bean Salad with Pickled Vegetables for 4th of July #SundaySupper « Diabetic Foodie | July 1, 2012
- Small Wallet Big Appetite » Grilled Chicken in a Blueberry BBQ Sauce #SundaySupper | July 1, 2012
- Red Velvet Brownies for #SundaySupper | Magnolia Days | July 1, 2012
- Buttermilk Oven Fried Chicken #SundaySupper | The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen | July 1, 2012
- Red, White and Blue Cake with Berries, Coconut and Rum for #SundaySupperFamily Spice | July 1, 2012
- Strawberries & Cream Cake for 4th of July #SundaySupper | July 1, 2012
- #SundaySupper – Celebrating Independence Day with Family, Friends, Food and Wine! « ENOFYLZ | July 1, 2012
- Red, White & Blue Grilled Pizza’s for #SundaySupper « Momma's Meals | July 1, 2012
- Mexican Quinoa Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing | Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts | July 1, 2012
- Treat-Size Plum and Apple Pies for #SundaySupper | Happy Baking Days | July 1, 2012
- #SundaySupper: Juicy Lucy and Blueberry Ketchup | Pippi's in the Kitchen Again | July 2, 2012
- McCormick® Grill Mates® Sweet & Smoky Spareribs #DibsOnMyRibs | July 13, 2012
- Red, White & Blue Grilled Pizza’s for #SundaySupper | | October 7, 2012
- Chicken Burgers with Curried Cabbage Slaw | Soni's Food for Thought | October 15, 2012