This week has been crazy for this mom! Getting into the groove in my new position at work has been great! Making time to get on the computer at night to write…has been a struggle. Y’all probably noticed how quiet I was on all my favorite social channels too. Besides the work excitement DH and I were planning a much needed yard sale for Saturday morning. Whew!
My initial thought for this dish was Saturday morning brunch. Then I realized that wouldn’t work if the whole family was outside at the crack of dawn for the yard sale. I decided to rework this recipe for a better option for us…Apple Cinnamon French Toast for Saturday night dessert!
I may be busy, but I am never too busy for my #SundaySupper crew! This weekend kicks off my favorite time of year – FALL! I love going to pumpkin patches and apple picking. So this week in to celebrate the first day of fall, we are sharing over 50 awesome recipes using apples! That’s a lot of apples! This week’s host for our Autumn Apple Recipes #SundaySupper is Cindy from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings! I can’t wait to see what everyone else has planned, but before that, I guess I should get back to my own recipe for the week.
3/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup canned Dulce de Leche
3 large golden delicious apples diced
1 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 packages of Kings Hawaiian Dinner Rolls
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 teaspoons cinnamon sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish.
2. In a small bowl, stir together the melted butter, brown sugar and dulce de leche.
3. Add 2/3 of the sugar mixture mixture into the bottom of the prepared dish.
4. Add a layer of diced apples over the sugar mixture.
5. Layer the bread slices on top of the filling, pressing down as you go.
6. In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with the milk, cinnamon, vanilla and cinnamon sugar.
7. Slowly pour this mixture over the bread, making sure that it is completely absorbed.
8. Top with remaining sugar mixture
8. Carefully cover the pan with aluminum foil and refrigerate for at least one hour (overnight would work too if you wanted to bake in the morning)
9. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
10. Place covered pan into the oven and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 60 minutes to 75 minutes.
11. Remove foil and continue to bake until top and center are baked through.
12. Remove from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes. Serve warm.
This dish baked for a long time! It was in the oven for another good 40 minuted before I took it out to set. I am guessing it was partly because I baked it in an 8X8 pan. Not good. I had major spillage over the sides due to the juice of the apples and the bubbling sugar mixture. I would suggest baking this with a foil lined cookie sheet under it just in case. The dish gets all puffed up while baking, but then settles as it cools. The apples were soft, but not mushy, and this dish was not overly sweet. I wish we had some ice cream in the house because it would have made the dish over the top. So funny how I started with a breakfast dish and end up talking about ice cream. I would still make this version for brunch for sure. Just maybe make a few more edits in the sweet ingredient list.
I really overhauled this recipe. Which by the way, is one of the main reasons why I don’t normally bake. Baking is a science. I’m more of a throw together, change my mind on a whim while cooking, kind of gal. I was hoping this dish would not be a flop. It definitely was NOT! I would definitely make a few changes to it, and I have edited my ingredients above to reflect that. I am already planning to make this for our family weekend in the Blue Ridge Mountains in October! And just in case you want to compare how far I strayed from the original Overnight Apple Cinnamon French Toast, you can find it on allrecipes.com HERE.
Now for the sharing of the group! We have some truly amazing recipes this week, so make sure you check ‘em out…even if it takes you until next #SundaySupper!
Soups, Salads, Starters and Breads
- Cinnamon Apple Chips- Shockingly Delicious
- Apple Celery Salad- In the Kitchen with Audrey and Maurene
- Mini Apple Pumpkin Pancakes – The Daily Dish Recipes
- Overnight Apple Cinnamon French Toast- In the Kitchen with KP
- Curried Apple and Leek Soup-Soni’s Food for Thought
- Endive Spears Topped With Apple, Blue Cheese and Hazelnut Salad-The Hand That Rocks the Ladle
- Homemade Apple Jam – My Trials in the Kitchen
- Caramel Apple Butter Cheesecake Dip- Chocolate Moosey
- Caramel Apple Bread – famfriendsfood
- Apple Pie Bread Baker Street
- Apple, Bacon & Brie Popovers- I Run for Wine
- Apple and Almond Brie Puff Pastry- Family Foodie
- Apple, Leek and Gruyere Tarts- There and Back Again
- Slow Cooker Honey Apple Pork Loin- The Meltaways
- Apple-Glazed Meatballs- The Messy Baker
- Apples & Buttons (Ham, Apples and Dumplings)- Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Skillet Pork with Sweet Spiced Apples- Mama Mommy Mom
- Chicken Apple Meatloaf with Tarragon Tomato Sauce – Diabetic Foodie
- Baked Tilapia Apple Crisp- Daddy Knows Less
- Pork Tenderloin with Calvados Cream Sauce Sustainable Dad
- #SundaySupper Pulled Pork Sandwich With Pickled Red OnionsKwistin’s Favorites
- Harvest Rice- Webicurean
- Wild Rice with Apples, Dried Cranberries, and Walnuts – Ruffles and Truffles
- Apple Topped Sweet Potato Mash- Momma’s Meals
- Warm Spice Pecan Raisin Apple Chutney- Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Double Apple Pot Pie- What Smells So Good?
- Apple Walnut Coffee Cake- The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Apple Streusel Cobbler- Big Bear’s Wife
- Apple & Moroccan Cinnamon Gooey Sticky Buns- Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Spiced Caramel Apple Pie-Chelsea’s Culinary Indulgence
- Apple Pear Kuchen for #SundaySupper (Apfel Birnen Kuchen)-Galactosemia in PDX
- Apple Strudel - Magnolia Days
- Old Fashioned Apple Crisp with Caramel Sauce-Noshing with the Nolands
- Apple Cheesecake- Vintage Kitchen
- Caramel Apple Crumble Bars- Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks
- Apple Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting- From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Cinnamon Apple Dessert Chimichangas- Juanita’s Cocina
- Nutella Apple Quesadilla- Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Apple Crisp Ice Cream- Cravings of a Lunatic
- Bavarian Apple Torte- The Lovely Pantry
- Streusel Apple Crumb Pie + Pie Freezer Kits- Meal Planning Magic
- French Apple Cobbler with Cinnamon-Maple Whipped Cream Weekend Gourmet
- Chunky Apple-Apricot Bread Pudding- Comfy Cuisine
- Apple Butter Spice Cake – Home Cooking Memories
- Apple Pie and Custard- Happy Baking Days
- #GlutenFree Deep Dish Carmel Apple Pie- Cooking Underwriter
- Apple Brownies That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Country Apple Dumplings- Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Apple-Gingersnap Cookies- Tora’s Real Food
- Apple and Cranberry Turnovers- Flour on my Face
- Applesauce Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake with Caramel Glaze- Hip Foodie Mom
- Caramel Frosted Apple Cookies- No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Apple and Pecans Cake- Basic N Delicious
- Apple Pull Apart Monkey Bread- Gotta Get Baked
I bet you are now checking your kitchen for apples! I know I would be! And don’t forget, if you happen to be just hanging around on Sunday, feel free to join the #SundaySupper family on Twitter throughout the day. We’ll also be meeting up at 7:00 p.m. EST for our weekly #SundaySupper live chat to discuss our Autumn Apple Party recipes! All you have to do is follow the #SundaySupper hashtag! On Pinterest, check out the group’s incredible pictures and recipes on our #SundaySupper Pinterest board!
- ¾ cup butter, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup canned Dulce de Leche
- 3 large golden delicious apples diced
- 6 eggs
- 1½ cups milk
- 1½ packages of Kings Hawaiian Dinner Rolls
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Optional whipped cream for topping
- Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- In a small bowl, stir together the melted butter, brown sugar and dulce de leche.
- Add ⅔ of the sugar mixture mixture into the bottom of the prepared dish.
- Add a layer of diced apples over the sugar mixture.
- Layer the bread slices on top of the filling, pressing down as you go.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with the milk, cinnamon, vanilla and cinnamon sugar.
- Slowly pour this mixture over the bread, making sure that it is completely absorbed.
- Top with remaining sugar mixture
- Carefully cover the pan with aluminum foil and refrigerate for at least one hour (overnight would work too if you wanted to bake in the morning)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Place covered pan into the oven and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 60 minutes to 75 minutes.
- Remove foil and continue to bake until top and center are baked through.
- Remove from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes. Serve warm.
- Top with optional whipped cream
About the Author (Author Profile)Happily married with two children, Karen does not hesitate to rebuff her family’s hungry advances at mealtime, while she styles and photographs their dinner to share on Instagram before serving them. In The Kitchen With KP is full of family friendly adventures around Atlanta (and beyond), plus simple recipes everyone can feel comfortable trying. In fact, her whole family participates in the cooking/baking fun on a regular basis.
Sites That Link to this Post
- Apples & Buttons (Ham, Apples and Dumplings) #SundaySupper | Cindy's Recipes and Writings | September 23, 2012
- Wild Rice with Apples, Dried Cranberries, and Walnuts for #SundaySupper | She likes ruffles, he likes truffles | September 23, 2012
- Apple Walnut Coffe Cake #SundaySupper - The Girl in the Little Red KitchenThe Girl in the Little Red Kitchen | September 23, 2012
- Warm Spice Pecan Raisin Apple Chutney #SundaySupper | September 23, 2012
- Apple Strudel for #SundaySupper | Magnolia Days | September 23, 2012
- Old Fashioned Apple Crisp with Caramel Sauce for Autumn Apple Party for #SundaySupper | | Noshing With The NolandsNoshing With The Nolands | September 23, 2012
- Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends – Apple & Moroccan Cinnamon Gooey Sticky Buns #SundaySupper | September 23, 2012
- Autumn Harvest Homemade Apple Sauce | Brie's Bites | September 23, 2012
- Applesauce Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake with Caramel Glaze . . . for #SundaySupper! | Hip Foodie Mom | September 23, 2012
- Nutella Apple Quesadillas | Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts | September 23, 2012
- #SundaySupper: Apple Chai Tea | Pippis in the Kitchen Again | September 23, 2012
- #SundaySupper Endive Spears Topped With Apple, Blue Cheese and Hazelnut Salad « The Hand That Rocks The Ladle | September 23, 2012
- Bavarian Apple Torte for #SundaySupper - Lovely Pantry | Lovely Pantry | September 23, 2012
- Apples Apples and more Apples for #SundaySupper « Momma's Meals | September 23, 2012
- Apple and Almond Brie Puff Pastry | September 23, 2012
- Harvest Rice with Apples and Pecans #SundaySupper - Webicurean — Webicurean | September 23, 2012
- Apple pull apart monkey bread for a #SundaySupper Autumn Apple Party! | gotta get baked | September 23, 2012
- Apple Crisp Ice Cream for Our Autumn Apple Party! #SundaySupper | Cravings of a Lunatic | September 23, 2012
- Apple Butter Spice Cake #SundaySupper - Home Cooking Memories | September 23, 2012
- Pork Tenderloin with Calvados Cream Sauce | September 23, 2012
- Cinnamon Apple Dessert Chimichangas | Juanita's Cocina | September 24, 2012
- Apples Apples and more Apples for #SundaySupper | | October 1, 2012
- Curried Apple and Leek Soup | Soni's Food for Thought | October 14, 2012
- Slow Cooker Honey Apple Pork Loin for an Autumn Apple Party #SundaySupper | The Meltaways | October 22, 2012
- Cinnamon Apple Chips for #SundaySupper | November 10, 2012
- Rustic Apple Galette | #SundaySupper | The Foodie Army Wife | November 12, 2012
- Apple and Cranberry Turnovers #SundaySupper | Flour On My Face | December 9, 2012
- Skillet Pork with Sweet Spiced Apples #SundaySupper | Mama.Mommy.Mom. | January 2, 2013
- Apple Pumpkin Pancakes | The Daily Dish Recipes | February 5, 2013
- Autumn Harvest Homemade Apple Sauce for #SundaySupper | February 26, 2013