With Winter Break in full swing, it’s the perfect opportunity to reconnect with our kids – as a family! Depending on the age of your kid(s), this might be easier or harder than you expect! The most important thing to remember is just to have fun with it. Usually, kids don’t care how we are spending time with them… as long as we are with them (and giving them our full attention). Check out this list of Ways to Reconnect with Your Kids and Prevent Boredom over Winter Break.
1. Music. Either create music together, or listen to it! Let the kids help you make a mix CD to listen to the next time you’re in the car.
2. Play. There are so many fun ideas on Pinterest for indoor activities that you can participate in as a family. From sensory bins for toddlers, to DIY jewelry for tweens – Pinterest has it all!
3. Read. Get some books from the library, and read them together. Or, try some free audio books! Big kids can read to little kids, and they’ll all be learning without even realizing it.
4. Spa time. Create a DIY spa experience at home with some warm towels, cucumber slices, and some bath scrubs that you make together.
5. Take photos. Whether you’re using a digital camera and printing photos from your computer, or using a disposable and taking the photos in to get them developed, taking photos is one of the best ways to spend time together! Take photos of each other, take photos of yourselves together – or head outside and take photos of the scenery together.
6. Bake or cook. Some of the best memories are created while baking and cooking dinner as a family!
7. Sort and Organize Toys. Organize a donation of gently used toys to your local shelter or charity location with the help of your kids. It’s win-win all around.
8. Visit your local animal shelter. Many local shelters and ASPCA locations offer scheduled play time with the dogs and cats to help with socialization. Kids get to play with happy puppies and kittens for a while without the commitment of taking one home.
Still looking for more ideas? Check out this 12 Minute Manual – a month’s worth of ideas for fun things to do with your kids in only 12 minutes!
How do you reconnect with your kids while preventing the ever dreaded statement…”I’m bored!”?